Monday 1 July 2019

Stella Synth

This is one of the projects in the amazing book 'Arduino For Musicians' by Brent Edstrom.  I had a bit of trouble with it occasionally breaking/crashing into white noise, but with the help of some nice people over on the Mozzie Arduino synth forums we managed to get it to work.  I think the books errata has since been updated, so check that out before you upload the sketch.









Breadboard stage


Designing the case

Case Layout design for Laser cutter

Engraving the text onto the project box



Paint added to the engraved text, cutting out pots etc
Wiring up the synth to the case
Fitting the pots
The finished synth

6 comments:

  1. Hi there. Great work! I'm having trouble with two pieces of the project: 1. My display is not even lighting up, and 2. I get a steady tone and no response to MIDI. I ran a test code that uses pin 3 for data and pin 2 for clock. Stella doesn't seem to have a clock. I suspect the digital serial emulates a clock? Did you use a clock for your display?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay - I don't get notified for some reason. Are you using the sparkfun display? It has a built in Arduino, so you need that particular part otherwise it won't work

      Delete
  2. Great work! Is there any video or audio demo of this synth? I also own the book, but I cannot find any sound-preview on the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get a chance I'll record some video later

      Delete
  3. Nice project. I like it. Any video with samples ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a video from the creator:
      https://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780199309320/resources/ch14/14.1/

      Delete

Say something...